Sunday 28 November 2010

When it's got to be chocolate

Most of my friends think I'm very self disciplined when it comes to treat foods as I usually turn down whatever sugary treats on offer. To be honest, since I dramatically cut down on sugar six years ago, most of the time I just don't fancy it. But I'm not immune and there are some days when only something sweet and chocolatey will do.

That was why I was excited to receive this recipe for vegan brownies which are fat, dairy and gluten free. That for starters makes them sound unappetising, before I tell you that the main ingredient is beans ... yes beans! But they're actually really tasty ... which is why my flatmate demanded I make more of them! So for anyone looking for guilt free chocolate pleasure here's the recipe:

Heat the oven to 180 degrees

Blend 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed with 1.5 cups of agave nectar until smooth.

Add 2 tbsps ground flax seeds, 2tsps pure vanilla extract, half a cup of cocoa powder, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp of fine sea salt, 3/4 cup of whole wheat pastry flour (I substituted gluten free bread flour).

Blend again til smooth. The recipe stops there but I then add chopped pecans and dark chocolate chips to add texture.

Pour the mix into 8x8 pan lined with foil and lightly oiled.
Bake for 30 mins/until a toothpick comes out almost clean.

Allow to cool and cut into squares.

ps whilst these are fat free the agave syrup still makes them medium to high GI and the dark chocolate means they contain caffeine ... so don't eat too many or you might end up awake all night!
------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment