Wednesday 26 January 2011

Freezing up

I've always been a cold person (physically!!), wearing socks in bed, needing lots of layers to stay warm over Winter and wearing a coat well into spring. But since I've been taking supplements specifically to support my thyroid I've noticed that I haven't needed the usual extra layers ... infact I didn't notice until some friends started saying how cold they were on a recent night out and I realised I had one layer less than everyone else and felt toasty.

Alot of people accept that they are colder than everyone else and it does seem that women are generally colder than men (due to their lower muscle mass as muscle tissue generates heat). However feeling cold can often be a sign that something is out of whack. An underactive (even just slightly underactive) thyroid is a common culprit but it's not the only possible cause, poor circulation, anaemia/low iron status and poor adrenal gland function are all possibles.

This is why it's always worth paying attention to anything that doesn't feel quite right in your body. Whilst feeling cold might not be that problematic, it may be the symptom of an underlying health issue that should be addressed and may be contributing to other health issues; plus it's actually quite nice not to have to dress like the Michelin man to keep warm!!

No comments:

Post a Comment