Sunday 14 August 2011

The easiest healthiest ice cream recipe ever

I'm always looking out for healthy treat recipes, so you can feel like you're indulging without actually eating into your 20% treat allowance. One such recipe was brought to my attention by Ms Haribo as a wonderful alternative to ice cream.

Being dairy free means ice cream is off the menu entirely for me (my digestive system really doesn't like it) so I occasionally treat myself to Booja Booja dairy free ice cream as a treat. However this recipe, made purely with frozen bananas, is totally delicious and sin free so is my new ice cream replacement. It would also make a great healthy summer dessert for kids.

Peel a couple of bananas, cut into small pieces and freeze for 1-2 hours on a plate (separated from each other). Take them out the freezer and with a hand or jug blender blend them until they turn into ice cream texture. If it gets a big mushy while you blend, just pop back in the freezer for another 10 minutes.

I got the recipe from this site, where readers have added their own suggestions for tasty additions such as adding some maple syrup and chopped pecans. Infact the plain banana ice cream tastes pretty sweet so doesn't really need any extra sweetener, however I added some chopped hazelnuts for added crunch.

http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/tips-techniques/stepbystep-instructions-for-oneingredient-ice-cream-097170


If you've got a vitamix you may want to try this delicious sounding banana and coconut ice cream recipe from Elena's Pantry:

http://www.elanaspantry.com/roasted-banana-coconut-ice-cream/


What's on your mind?

The aim of NITC is to help city folk and other readers improve their diet, health and overall well-being. So to keep it relevant I'm always keen to receive any questions to address in the blog. If you're struggling to give up caffeine, need some menu inspiration, are confused about which foods are healthy or which aren't, want some tips on stopping head-aches or any other health or nutrition related questions just reply to the blog email or email me at emilie@nutritioninthecity.com and I'll do my best to answer them.

No comments:

Post a Comment