Sunday 20 November 2011

Lasagna Lite

In my quest for healthy comfort food I'm always trying to adapt my favourite recipes to health them up but keep the comforting element.

Lasagna is one such meal that I've always enjoyed eating, but felt very heavy afterwards. Sadly that combination of wheat, pasta and cheese is a recipe for indigestion and falling asleep and if consumed too frequently a recipe for weight gain and ill health.

Obviously now I don't eat dairy, gluten or meat making lasagna posed a bit of a challenge and to be fair I couldn't expect my lasagna substitute to taste like the original, but my substitute actually hit the spot in terms of comfort food keeping that tomato/pasta/stodge factor.

This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, vegan, low in fat, high in fibre and basically guilt free .. perfect for a cold wintery evening ... if one comes along soon!!

Emilie's Light Lasagna:
Prepare 4 lasagna sheets according to instructions - I used dietary specials gluten free lasagna sheets

Heat 1.5 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and add 1 onion diced and 2 cloves of garlic minced. Once the onion has softened add 1 small courgette and half a small aubergine cubed. Fry for 10 minutes til softened and take off the heat.

In a jug mix 1 tin of green or brown lentils, 500g passata, 1 tsp each of drived oregano and dried basil plus 1 tbsp tomato puree and a sprinkling of freshly ground pepper. Mix thoroughly.

Brush an oven proof dish with olive oil (I used an 8 inch diameter circular dish) and put a layer of half the courgette and aubergine mix in the bottom, top with one third of the tomato/lentil mix and then top with two lasagna sheets. Repeat the layers again and then on top of the final lasagna layer pour over the final third of the lasagna/tomato mix (this will stop the top layer of lasagna from burning)

Bake for 40 minutes in an oven preheated to 140C.

Serve with a green side salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment