Thursday 7 June 2012

An uphill struggle!

I hope you all enjoyed the long weekend and got plenty of rest. I spent the weekend following hot doc up hills and mountains in the lake district which was great fun.

I say following because despite my wishful thinking I'm never going to be as quick up a mountain as a six foot tall fit man.

Still it was a bit of a shock to find myself huffing and puffing uphill behind him and made me very aware that I'm much less cardiovascularly fit than I was this time last year when I jogged up Mount Snowdon!

Running, walking or cycling uphill is a great test of your cardio fitness and also a great way to get fitter fast. However with London being so flat we don't really get much opportunity to do this on a regular basis.

If you're lucky enough to live near a hilly park make sure you include a few laps up and down a hill to really get your heart going. For the rest of us there's an easy answer and that is to take the stairs whenever possible.

You might not think it would make much difference but try walking the four floors up to the furniture department in John Lewis and you'll definitely feel it.

Do a few flights of stairs a day and after a week you should notice a difference, walking up the escalators or stairs in the underground is an easy regular way to do this. Stairs are also great for toning the thighs and bum so doubly worthwhile!
------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment